Day 3 for Beth

Getting ready to leave for our first hot yoga session, my 10-year-old chihuahua, Chico, had a seizure. Chico, being the trooper that he is, handled this way better than his human family members and really just preferred to slip quietly back underneath his blanket to sleep. I have a feeling my grumpy old pup with the bad heart murmur probably doesn’t have a whole lot of time left here with us and we will have to face the very real probability that we will be losing one of our beloved friends soon.


After Chico was comfortable and being cared for, Elysia and I headed out to our first hot yoga session. The first word that comes to mind is “brutal”. The temperature of the room was about 95 degrees and I do not do well in any type of major heat; it makes me physically ill. But please remember that I am trying to step out of my comfort zone and I am always up for a challenge. About halfway through class – I think it was halfway – I decided that moving in the heat was no longer an option for me and I went into survival mode. I sat in the class observing the students while sweat poured off of me like I was sitting in a tropical rain forest looking for one of those alien “Predators”. About three-fourths of the way through the nausea became so intense that I was certain I would bring up my vitamin water all over the poor guy in front of me, so I politely stepped out.

I do not know why heat does not agree with me, but I have been ill the entire day from this experience. Apparently there are different types of yoga? Who knew!? I was in a Vinyasa class which is more of a power yoga and I should probably be in a Hatha class which is a bit more slower-paced. While the rest of the class was doing the “Downward Facing Dog”, I was doing the “Sweat Like A Wild Boar”. Call me a wimp but I just located muscles in my body that I had no idea were still available for use. My arms shook so bad they probably thought I had a neurological disorder. That class kicked my butt. I was so proud of Elysia, she stayed right with it. While I was trying to figure out if the chic next to Elysia was going to flex herself into some sort of pretzel, Elysia was busting her behind to keep up. Kudos to her!

I didn’t eat anything until late afternoon and by the time dinner was done I was truly feeling lousy. Al and the boys made fajitas and Elysia made guacamole. I ate two fajitas and I was stuffed. I am now going to head off to bed and hope that I don’t wake up needing a wheelchair to get around at work tomorrow. Judging from the pain I am in now, it is going to be a long Monday! No pain, no gain?

Good news…I am down 1.4 lbs. I weighed in this morning at 211 even! I would happy dance but I can no longer move. Night friends!


One thought on “Day 3 for Beth

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s